Food and garden waste bin
Food and garden waste bin
What goes in your food and garden waste bin
Search for a waste item:
Items NOT accepted:
- Packaging of any sort
- Plant pots
- Plastic bags
Your bin may not be emptied if it contains any of these items.
A large range of materials can also be recycled at your local household recycling centre.
Invasive non-native plants
Weeds are accepted in your brown bin but invasive non-native plants such as Japanese Knotweed and Giant Hogweed are not permitted by law.
- DO NOT put any part of it in your brown bin, landfill bin or compost bin
- DO NOT take it to a tip, recycling centre or waste transfer station
- DO NOT dump or fly-tip cuttings
Find out how to control and dispose of invasive non-native plants.
The council provides a free kitchen caddy and caddy liners for convenient recycling of food waste in the household.
Please only use the caddy liners we provide - they decompose with the food waste and we supply them free of charge.
Please remove all food packaging before putting the waste in your brown bin.
When your kitchen caddy is 3/4 full, tie the liner, remove from the caddy and place in your brown bin.
Additional caddy liners can be requested by tying a caddy liner or attaching a red tag to the handle of your brown bin on the designated collection day. Council staff will then supply a replacement roll of caddy liners as required.
If you don’t have a kitchen caddy, you can:
- Collect one from your nearest location
- Phone 028 9244 7300 or email email@example.com
- If you are waiting for a kitchen caddy but have a brown bin, you can place food waste directly into your brown bin or wrap it in newspaper.
Leaving your bin out for collection
- Bins should be left out for collection by 6.00am at the kerbside or curtilage of your property
- Lids should be closed with handles facing out
- Additional side waste will not be collected except in exceptional circumstances (adverse weather, vehicle breakdown, road closures) which will be detailed on the service updates page
- Prevent access issues on collection days by showing consideration when parking
- Bins should be brought in promptly after collection so they don't cause an obstruction
We will not empty any bins which contain material that is not permitted. A contamination sticker or card will be placed on your bin to advise you it contains unsuitable material.
You must remove all unsuitable items and present the bin for collection on the next scheduled collection day.
For more information please phone 028 9244 7300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Collection of multiple brown bins is chargeable.
Already have an additional collection service? Pay your annual renewal fee.
Need a new bin or kitchen caddy? Order a bin, box, caddy or composter