Full plan application
Full Plan applications should be made for:
• the erection of a building
• an extension of an existing building
• a roof space conversion to form a habitable room or additional storey to a dwelling
• the change of a buildings’ use
• installation or alteration of services and fittings
You need to provide us with:
• a completed application form (link to online form needs to be provided)
• two copies of the full construction drawings of your proposal in order to obtain a Notice of Passing of Plans.
• the fee for a Full Plans Application unless exempt*. This is submitted in two stages. Firstly when the Plans are submitted with 25% of the total fee. The remainder of the fee is due when the works start on site i.e. inspection fee (the remaining 75%).
You can also view the relevant fees below:
Small buildings, extensions and alterations building control fees set by the Department of Finance
|Fee to review plans
|Fee for inspection
|Erection of a detached garage or carport or both having a floor area between 30m² & 40m² (<30m² exempt from Regulation)
|The installation of an unvented hot water system where it is not part of a larger project
|The extension of a dwelling the total floor area does not exceed 20m²
|The extension of a dwelling the total floor area exceed 20m² but does not exceed 40m²
|The extension of a dwelling the total floor area exceed 40m² but does not exceed 60m²
|Any extension or alteration of a dwelling consisting of the provision of one or more rooms in the roof space
|Replacement of an existing combustion appliance in a dwelling e.g. changed oil boiler to gas or wood burning stove
|Installation or extension of a heating system in a dwelling i.e. oil, gas or wood burner
|Installation of a microgeneration technology in or on an existing dwelling i.e. renewable energy system
N.B The plan fee covers Building Control assessment of the submitted drawings. When the Building Control Surveyor commences the inspection of the works, an inspection fee is payable (the remaining 75% or the total fee). This is a one-off payment when the works commence and covers all the inspections as required for the works to be completed.
*If the works proposed are to be used or are for the primary benefit of a person with a physical disability, the works are described as being “exempt” from Building Regulations Fees. A request to exempt the fee for an application will require the supporting written confirmation from an occupational therapist or your GP to confirm this exemption and that the works proposed are for the benefit of the person with a disability.
What happens once I have submitted my application?
You will receive either a Notice of Approval or a Rejection of Plans.
If we can approve your application drawings, we will issue a Notice of Passing of Plans with a stamped approved copy of your Plans confirming that they comply with the Building Regulations.
You must contact us at the required stages of the works progression so that we can ensure they are of the necessary standard. It is the homeowners’ legal requirement to advise Building Control at the following stages of construction.
You are required to advise us at the following stages and give us the opportunity to inspect:
- when the works start
- when the foundations are excavated
- when you place a damp proof course
- when you consolidate the site hardcore
- when you lay the drainage system (before backfilling and covering up)
- before you cover up any insulation or sound measures
- before covering of any above ground structural elements
- when the works reach a stage of occupation
- when the works are deemed to be complete
If we are not given the opportunity to inspect important work, we have the power to ask that the works are opened up and made good if they do not meet the standards necessary to achieve compliance.
We are unable to approve plans that do not contain sufficient information, has a design problem, or does not fully comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations. In these circumstances, we will send you and/or your Agent an indication of why the plans do not comply with the Building Regulations.
You will need to send us revised drawings which amend these issues and allow us to approve the plans before we can provide an approval notice.
You can book a site inspection by phoning us on 028 9244 7300 during out office hours Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. You must provide 24 hours’ notice of the need for an inspection to allow us to schedule this request with our inspecting officer.
Please have your reference number to hand. This is normally a reference beginning with FP, BN or UB, the year of application and a reference number e.g. FP/2022/0123.