YOUth MATTERs is on the search for Youth Council Members to represent the voices of young people across the Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council area.
To apply you must live in the Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council area and be aged 16-21.
Lisburn Castlereagh Youth Council (LCYC) will enable young people to engage with key decision makers, have their say on local issues, meet new friends and be a representative voice for young people in their area.
Youth Council Members will be involved in influencing a range of council events and programmes and will have the opportunity to undertake accredited training to grow and develop their skills and boost their confidence in representing young people’s views and opinions.
In the two years from Lisburn & Castlereagh Youth Council was established, members have had opportunities and experiences they otherwise wouldn't have had access to. From 2017 members have:
- Taken part in a residential to Killyleagh where they completed training to prepare for roles and responsibilities as a representative group
- Attended Council meetings, reception/question and answer session with the Mayor and other councillors
- Travelled to a citizenship study visit in Dublin
- Attended 2 Study visits to London, where they linked with Lewisham Youth Council and a film making group, Fully Focused
- Planned and organised 2 youth service consultation events
- Completed Action Research with young people regarding anti-social behaviour and other issues affecting young people
- Participated in consultations and events with the PSNI, PCSP, Good Relations and PHA
- Travelled on a 5 day international study visit to Bilbao, Spain learning from youth groups and visiting the Basque Parliament
LCYC members will meet on a regular basis to identify and resolve common issues relating to young people in the local area.
Everyone is welcome to apply regardless of background, abilities or interests. The panel will consider the geographical spread and underrepresented groups to ensure the diverse needs of young people in the area are heard.
Applications for the Youth Council are now closed. Thank you to all of those who have applied.
During October 2019 an assessment panel will review submitted applications and appoint successful members to the Youth Council. The decision of the panel will be final and binding.
It’s your time to make a real change for young people in Lisburn Castlereagh.