Purpose of the fund
The Rural Investment Fund assists new businesses located within a Small Settlement* wishing to renovate a vacant property; or an existing business planning to diversify their current offer through repurposing an unused area within their premises.
*Small Settlements are defined as areas with a population of between 1,000 and 4,999. These include; Aghalee, Annahilt, Ballinderry, Dromara, Drumbeg, Glenavy, Royal Hillsborough, Maghaberry, Milltown, Moira and Moneyreagh.
The boundaries of these areas can be viewed on this link.
The aims and objectives of the Rural Investment Fund are to:
- Improve the commercial offer in the village centre of Small Settlements by reducing the current vacancy rates and attracting new businesses.
- Enhance the environment and raise the image of the village.
- Decrease the number of vacant units in the village centre by offering financial assistance to::
- reopen a business
- repurpose an unused area in an existing business premises
- new businesses wishing to renovate a vacant property
Preference will be given to businesses with on-street frontage and which are providing a service/business offering currently lacking in the village.
Businesses located or wishing to locate within a Conservation Area must liaise directly with our Conservation Officer in order to ensure adherence to Conservation Design Standards and Guidelines. They can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org