Please note that from 1st April 2019 the Lisburn Registration Office located at Lagan Valley Island, Lisburn will move to an Appointment System.
Castlereagh Registration Office, Bradford Court, Castlereagh currently operates by Appointment
To make an appointment for Lisburn Registration Office at Lagan Valley Island (from 1st April), or Castlereagh Registration Office at Bradford Court, Castlereagh please ring 028 9250 9270 or 028 9250 9263
Registering a Birth
By law all births which occurred in Northern Ireland must be registered. You must register your baby's birth within 42 days of the date of birth. You will require proof of the birth for a variety of purposes, i.e. to register the baby with a doctor and to claim child benefit, etc.
Registration services for Births are available at the Council's headquarters at Lagan Valley Island, Lisburn and also at its Council Offices at Bradford Court (BY APPOINTMENT).
Where can you register a birth?
You can register a birth in any Registration Office in Northern Ireland, providing the baby was born in Northern Ireland.
Lisburn Registration Office
Civic Headquarters, Lagan Valley Island, Lisburn, BT27 4RL
Phone: 028 9250 9270 or 028 9250 9263
Castlereagh Registration Offices
1 Bradford Court, Upper Galwally, Castlereagh, BT8 6RB
Phone: 028 9250 9270 or 028 9250 9263
From 1st April 2019 Lisburn Registration Office will move to an Appointment System.
Castlereagh Registration Office currently operates by Appointment.
To make an appointment for either Registration Office please ring 028 9250 9270 or 028 9250 9263.
What information will I need to bring with me?
You will need to fill in a birth registration form. You can download a copy of this Birth Registration Form by clicking here GRO4.
Who can register a Baby?
The following people can register a child's birth:
• the mother or father of the baby – if you are a married couple. However in the case of a child born outside marriage, the name of the father can only be recorded in the entry of birth if both parents are in attendance and sign the registration together. If either parent is unavailable, you should speak to the Registrar. Further information on unmarried fathers is available from the birth registration form
• maternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, maternal aunt or maternal uncle of the baby who has knowledge of the birth
• occupier of the premises where baby was born
• any person present at the birth
• any person having charge of the child.
A birth can also be registered to two female parents under certain circumstances. For further information, we advise you to call a member of the registration staff.
Lisburn and Castlereagh Registration Offices Tel: 028 9250 9263
What you receive when you register?
Once the registration has been completed, a member of the Registration Staff will issue the following:
• HS123 Infant Registration Sheet to register baby with Doctor to obtain a medical card
• 1 free short birth certificate automatically issued at the time of registration
Additional certified copies of Short or Full Birth Certificates may be purchased at a cost of £8.00 each at the time of registration.
What is the purpose of registration?
The records provide positive information about individuals and are used for many legal and administrative purposes (for example; National Insurance, Education, Transfer of Property, Employment, Obtaining a Passport, etc).
They provide valuable statistics (for example, Fertility Rates, Population Estimates, etc). The statistics are published yearly in the Registrar General Annual Report.
A “Birth Registration” Form is filled in by the person registering the baby (normally the mother).
Please note that a registration cannot be easily changed once completed.
To order a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate after the time of Registration
Certified copies of all births registered in Northern Ireland may only be obtained from: General Register Office, NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR.
Telephone the General Register Office – 0300 200 7890 (ringing from within N Ireland/UK) or + 44300 200 7890 (ringing from outside N Ireland/UK) and paying by debit/credit card.
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro (Certificates can be ordered on line)
The General Register Office, NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR, provides help and advice about the following issues:
- re-registration of birth, for example, if you want to add the father’s name after the initial registration or you married the natural father of the baby and want to change the child's name or mother's name on the certificate.
- recorded name changes (if you were born or legally adopted in Northern Ireland)
Detailed information about all these topics is available from http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/