Civil partnership ceremonies are conducted by the Registrar and take place in the designated office venues or in another venue which has been licensed for partnerships.
Any two people, regardless of where they live, can register a civil partnership in Northern Ireland, provided that they are:
- Aged 18 or above on the day of your ceremony (consent is needed if either is aged 16 or 17)
- Unrelated to one another in a way that would prevent you from forming a civil partnership
- Free to enter into a partnership, for example, neither of you is already a civil partner or legally married
Civil Partnership Notice Form
You must complete a Civil Partnership Notice Form and return it along with other documents to the Registrar's office in the district where you plan to form your partnership.
Civil Partnership notice forms are available from any of our Registration offices and can also be downloaded at the link above.
Notice forms should be returned to the Registrar of the district in which you intend to marry, along with the relevant documents (listed below) and fees:
- Your full (long version) birth certificate (authorised photocopies are not acceptable)
- Your passport
- Share code to show immigration status (If you are an EU national have settled or pre-settled status under EU Settlement Scheme or have a decision pending on an application submitted before 1 July 2021)
- A consent form if aged 16 or 17 (these are available from the Registrar)
- If you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
- If you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final)
- If you have been married more than once, only the documents for your most recent marriage are required
- If you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.
- Immigration Status Statement plus relevant documents (if you are not a British or Irish Citizen or a person with leave granted under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) or have a decision pending on an application for EUSS leave submitted before 1 July 2021).
Civil Partnership Fees
Civil Partnership in Registrar’s Office, Lisburn (couple & 2 witnesses max)
(Basic Office – couple & 2 witnesses maximum in attendance)
|Civil Partnership in Registrar’s Office, Lisburn – taking place in Ceremony Room/Cherry Room – holds maximum 70 people total (including couple and children)||
£160 weekdays£286 Saturdays