*Interments in council cemeteries*
Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic, Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council has put measures in place to ensure disruption to burial services is minimal during this difficult time.
To protect the Health and Safety of council staff, Funeral Director’s and members of the public attending committals, the council has implemented the following measures:
1. Funeral Directors must complete a Risk Assessment to ensure current restrictions are considered.
2. Family attending the graveside must adhere to the 2 metre social distancing guidance from the Public Health Agency. Family members must also remain at least 5 metres from the grave.
3. All interments are restricted to a maximum of 30 minutes.
4. Monumental Sculptors work is permitted between Monday – Thursday 8.00am – 4.00pm and Friday 8.00am-3:30pm. All works must be approved by the Cemetery Office prior to works commencing. Please ensure all communications are used via the details listed below.
The council will regularly review its processes in line with any further guidance in relation to interments.
We trust that families understand, appreciate and respect the need for the council to impose such measures. The council, appreciates these are extremely difficult times for families and will endeavour to continue with a dignified and respectful committal service.
The latest funeral director guidance has been published and can be viewed by clicking here
Cemeteries Administration Office
The Cemeteries Administration Office is located at Lagan Valley Island, Lisburn which is our established primary administrative headquarters.
All cemetery enquiries are currently being dealt with at the above address or by calling 028 9244 7300 (option 4) and ask for Cemeteries.
The Cemeteries Administration Office is open Monday to Friday 9.00am – 1.00pm and 2.00pm – 4.00pm.
Council Owned Cemeteries in LCCC area
The council owned cemeteries are currenly operating on summer opening hours, seven days a week 8am - 8pm.
Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council currently carry out burials in the following cemeteries:
- Lisburn New Cemetery, Blaris Road, Lisburn
- Blaris Old Graveyard, Blaris Road, Lisburn
- Aghalee Graveyard, Aghalee
- Templecormac Graveyard
- Maghaberry (Friends) Graveyard
- Lisburn New Cemetery Extension, Blaris Road, Lisburn
- Lisburn Cemetery, Hillsborough Road, Lisburn
- Portmore Graveyard
- Trummery Graveyard, Trummery, Moira
*Please note : the only cemetery you may purchase a new plot in is Lisburn New Cemetery and this can only be purchased at the time of an interment. **The Funeral Directors are notified in advance of office opening hours during bank/public holidays.