Planning Applications

Planning permission will be required within the Conservation Area for any work which involves a material change to the appearance of the building. When a property has listed building status, such works will also require listed building consent.

Advertisement Consent for Signage

In addition to a planning application, all types of signage such as fascia or hanging signs will require a separate application for Consent to display an advertisement. Within the Conservation Area proliferation of signage is to be avoided and should be both minimal and discreet. Information on the sign should state only the name, trade and street number.

Conservation Area Consent for Demolition of Buildings

Conservation Area Consent is required from the Council for demolition, whether in whole or in part, of unlisted buildings within a Conservation Area.  

In a Conservation Area consent is also required to demolish a gate, fence, wall or other enclosure that is;

  • one-metre or higher next to a road or public open space; and
  • two-metres or higher in any other case.

Listed Building Consent for works affecting a Listed Building

Listed Building Consent is required before the carrying out of any work for demolition, alteration or extension of a listed building (including internal works or objects attached to the structure), which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historical interest.

In addition to Listed Building Consent it will be necessary to apply for Planning Permission for development of external and substantial works. If you are in any doubt about whether or not Planning Permission should also be sought, please discuss your proposal with the Council’s Planning Office. 

If you wish to discuss Listed Building proposals, the Department for Communities’ Historic Environment Division can be contacted by telephone on (028) 9082 3177 or (028) 9082 3126 or by e-mail to

Consent for Works to Trees in a Conservation Area

Trees are an integral and important part of the character and setting of a Conservation Area. All trees in Conservation Areas are legally protected. Notification must be given to the Council at least six weeks before doing any work to trees, such as trimming, or carrying out any development near them, such as building a shed next to a protected tree.

For further information please see ‘Trees in the Council area’.

Unauthorised Development in the Conservation Area

The Council places great importance on protecting our communities, built heritage and the natural environment from unauthorised development that causes harm or fails to have regard to the legislative requirements of the planning system.

For further information please see ‘Planning Enforcement’.

All planning enforcement queries should be directed to the Planning Enforcement Team

Contact Us for Advice

If you live in a Conservation Area and are thinking about carrying out alterations to your property or work to trees, we can offer you, or your planning agent, advice on a wide variety of issues (including pre-application guidance).

Please contact the Planning Office to speak to the Conservation Officer on 028 92447300 during normal office hours on Monday to Friday, or email the Planning inbox at