The Noise App
If you are disturbed by noisy neighbours playing music, DIY, barking dogs, and other domestic, commercial or industrial sources Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council's Environmental Protection team can investigate the matter for you.
What you need to do
- Download ‘The Noise App’ from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Tap 'Create an account' and search for 'Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council'. Enter your details and verify your email address to confirm your account.
- To report a nuisance simply tap the icon, make a 30-second recording of the noise, complete all details and submit your report online.
- Once a complaint has been made through The Noise App or by telephone your complaint will be allocated to an Investigating Officer.
- You will be required to provide all relevant details of the alleged noise through the app such as the source and frequency of the noise. Should you prefer to keep paper log sheets you can request these from the Investigating Officer. Initially you will be required to record the noise for a period of two weeks or three weeks depending on what the Investigating Officer requires to obtain substantial evidence.
- The alleged noise maker will receive a letter at this stage in the process to inform them that a complaint has been received and to provide them the opportunity to resolve the matter without the need for any further investigation.
- After the 2-3 week period the audio recordings which you submit via The Noise App will be reviewed by the Investigating Officer and you will be informed of the next steps.
- Further monitoring may be required at this stage or the Investigating Officer may wish to install noise monitoring equipment in your home for further evidence to be gathered. The officer may also wish to attend in person to witness the noise as it happens.
- At the conclusion of their investigation, if the Investigating Officer is of the opinion that a ‘statutory nuisance’ exists a Noise Abatement Notice shall be served on the person responsible for the noise. The noise maker has 21 days to appeal the notice served. Failure to comply with the Notice is an offence. This could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £5,000.
For further information regarding reporting a noise issue please contact the Environmental Health Team on 028 9244 7397.