Main reasons why dogs bark:
- it is bored
- it is guarding its territory
- it misses you
- it hears strange noises
- it is afraid
- it gets easily excited or is highly strung
- it is in the habit of barking
Dogs bark for all the above reasons and if you have a nuisance barker on your hands, you should first determine why. Dogs that bark incessantly in the yard could be bored. Owners should try to relieve the dog’s boredom by:
- taking it for regular walks
- providing chew toys and bones
- change the position of the kennel, etc.
If your dog barks as a result of separation anxiety (if it suffers when separated from the owner) then consider: leaving the radio or television on when you are away to distract the dog or contact an animal behaviourist.
Perseverance does pay off, however, f your dog does not respond to your attempts to quieten it, contact your Dog Warden at the Council for help and advice.