Byelaws made in January 1991 by the former Lisburn City Council under the provisions of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Northern Ireland) Order 1985 require the registration of of the person and premises who carry out any of the above activities.
The byelaws require the following:
- cleanliness of premises registered and fittings in such premises;
- cleanliness of persons registered and persons assisting in the business;
- cleansing and if appropriate sterilisation of instruments, materials and equipment used in connection with the business.
A person is guilty of an offence if he or she:
- carries on the practice of acupuncture or the business of tattooing, or cosmetic piercing or of electrolysis or of semi-permanent skin colouring in a premises which are not registered by Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council, or
- carries on such pratice or business when he or she is not themselves registered for that purpose with Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council, or
- contravenes the bye-laws made in relation to accupuncture, tattooing, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis and semi-permanent skin colouring, or
- tattoos any person under the age of 18 years (Tattooing of Minors ( Northern Ireland) Order 1979) regardless of parental consent. This would be delt with by PSNI not Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council.
The following documents are available to download:
There are also some websites which may be useful: