In Northern Ireland it is a legal requirement to obtain a licence from the Department of Justice (DoJ) before purchasing display fireworks.

If you wish to buy fireworks other than indoor fireworks and sparklers please follow the following link


Completed application forms should be sent back to the DoJ at least 6 weeks prior to your display. They should be accompanied by a list of fireworks you intend to use and a site plan showimg the firing area, fallout area, safety distances and spectator area.


If you are holding a catagory 2 garden display, a more simplified application form is required.

Once your application form has been submitted, a health and safety officer from this council may contact you to arrange a site visit to discuss your safety arrangements. The officer will make recommendations to the DoJ on whether a licence should be issued and may attach specific conditions to the licence.


Fireworks are safe if you use them properly. If you’re putting on a home display, you should follow some simple steps to make sure that everyone has a good time without getting hurt.


Firework Top Ten Safety Codes 


1. Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable.
2. Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
3. Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary.
4. Light the firework at arm's length with a taper and stand well back.
5. Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks.
6. Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
7. Don't put fireworks in pockets and never throw them.
8. Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators.
9. Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire
10. Make sure that the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving.

Keep kids safe

We want children to enjoy fireworks but they need to know that they can be dangerous if they are not used properly. Each year, over half of all firework injuries are suffered by children.


Buying Fireworks

• When buying fireworks, only buy from a licensed retailer.
• Only buy fireworks that comply with British Standard 7114:1988 or its European equivalent. Instructions should be in English
• Only buy fireworks in full packs – do not buy loose fireworks or packs that have had fireworks taken out of them
• Fireworks bought from unlicensed retailers could severely injure or kill. They are usually badly made and do not conform to the British Standard 7114:1988 or its European equivalent
• Complete display kits are available from most retailers. We would recommend these rather than single fireworks, as everything you’ll need, including instructions, will be in one pack and the selection will give a good visual display.
• Some fireworks can only be bought and used by firework professionals. These include: air bombs; aerial shells, aerial maroons, shells-in-mortar and maroons-in-mortar; all bangers; mini rockets; fireworks with erratic flight; some Category 2 and 3 fireworks which exceed certain size limits; and all Category 4 fireworks.


Think of your neighbours.


Let your neighbours know if you are planning a fireworks party, they may have pets which should be kept indoors. In rural areas this could include larger animals such as horses and donkeys in stables nearby. In addition it would be kind to let elderly neighbours and families with young children know there may be some loud bangs. Remember…fireworks can be fun, but have consideration for others!


Protect Your Animals


Although fireworks are fun for us, they are not fun for animals. Most animals get very scared by the lights and noise, so you should take precautions to protect your pets during the times of the year when fireworks are likely to be set off.

The animal charity Blue Cross says that the best thing you can do is to keep your pets indoors. This includes bringing in pets that are normally kept outside, such as rabbits or guinea pigs.

Close all of your windows and doors and try to drown out the noise as much as possible. And make sure that cats and dogs have name tags on them in case the noise scares them and they run off.


Further information on firework safety can be found on the following websites:




You can also contact the Council’s Environmental Services Department on 028 9244 7300 or email: or phone the Department of Justice (DOJ) on 028 9076 3000 or textphone 028 9052 7668.