How to obtain a Certificate
Records of all births, adoptions, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships are held by the General Register Office, NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR
- Birth certificates are available from 1864 to present.
- Adoption certificates are available from 1931 to present.
- Marriage certificates are available from 1845 for registered non-Roman Catholic marriages and all registered marriages from 1864 onwards
- Death certificates are available from 1864 to present.
- Civil partnership certificates are available from 2005 to present.
There are a number of ways you can obtain a certified copy of a birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate:
- Call into the General Register Office. There is an extra fee for same day service.
- Telephone the General Register Office – 0300 200 7890 (ringing from within N Ireland/UK) or + 44300 200 7890 (ringing from outside N Ireland/UK) and paying by debit/credit card.
- Order a certified copy online at NI Direct website (http://www.nidirect.gov.uk) and pay be debit/credit card
If you do not have a debit/credit card you can call into any local registration office to collect an application form. You will then need to take the form home, complete and send a cheque or postal order with it to the General Register Office, Belfast. (Full details will be on the application form)
For more information, including delivery times, same day service and fees, contact the General Register Office on the above number or online NI Direct website - http://www.nidirect.gov.uk
General Register Office
8-11 Lombard Street East
Telephone: Dublin 6711000
They hold general indexes and actual registrations for each year.
Births and Deaths from 1864 to 1921 and Marriages from 1845 to 1921(for all Ireland i.e. 32 counties)
All records from 1922 to date for Republic of Ireland only
Information is available from:http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/General-Register-Office.aspx
Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
66 Balmoral Avenue
Telephone (028) 90 251318
Web - www.proni.gov.uk
Hold copies of Parish Registers i.e. Baptisms and Marriages. Many of these pre-date civil registrations and a variety of records are available such as wills, land records, school records and Griffith Valuation.