In the event of a major emergency, Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council in its Civic Leadership role will help assist its community in the response to the emergency and promote recovery from the emergency.

This may include the following actions:

• Make buildings such as leisure and community centres available to temporarily shelter people;

• Provide health and safety advice on cleaning up after major flooding or pollution;

• Assess structural damage to buildings; and

• Co-ordinate and lead multi-agency meetings to plan recovery.

This document has been developed to provide guidance on preparing for flooding; if flooding happens where you live and what to do after flooding has occurred. 

Making insurance available and affordable for homes affected by flooding

Flood Re is a joint Governmnet and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding or have been flooded.  Click here for more information

Preparing for an emergency

In a major emergency, it may be some time before the emergency services can help you. There are several sources of guidance that can assist you in developing your own personal resilience.

The household emergency life-saving plan provides you with steps to take, a list of useful contact numbers in an emergency and also tells you what you should have in your household emergency pack.

Download the Household Emergency Life-saving Plan by clicking here

Keep your completed plan somewhere safe where you can easily find it in an emergency.


Further guidance can be found at the following sources:

Preparing for flooding 

Winter help and advice 

Don't wait, insulate 

Winter wrapped up 


What to do in an emergency

If there's an emergency, remember to:

• Stay calm, reassure others and think before acting;

• Don't put yourself or others in danger;

• Follow the advice of the emergency services; and

• If people are injured or there is a threat to life call 999 or 112.


If there is a fire or other danger in your building, quickly and calmly leave by the nearest safe route and move to a safe location away from the building. Do not try to return until the emergency services tell you it is safe to do so.



If your life is at risk due to flood water, ring 999.

To report serious flooding in your area, call the Flooding Incident Line on 0300 2000 100.

If your property experiences flooding, the household flooding plan has been developed to assist you with preparing for incidents.

Download the Household Flood Plan by clicking here


Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme

The grant scheme is newly sponsored to promote home owners make improvements to increase protection to their own homes from flooding. Information on criteria and details of the scheme is available by clicking here.

If you are unsure whether your property is at risk from flooding the Rivers Agency Strategic Flood Map has been developed to assist you. For further information or queries, please contact Department for Infrastructure Rivers here or visit


To monitor the weather visit the Met Office website or down load the met office app to your smart phone.


A range of guidance has been developed to assist you with flooding queries:

How to protect your home against flooding
Preparing for a flood
Reporting flooding
What to do if a flood happens
After a flood - making an insurance claim
After a flood - clearing up



In an emergency friends, neighbours and members of the local community work together to help each other. Some communities have started to develop their own community emergency plans for their area.

If you are thinking about starting a community emergency plan in your area, please email for more information.

Download the Community Emergency Plan template by clicking here


Regional Community Resilience Group (RCRG) Newsletter

Winter 2022 issue

Summer 2022 issue

Autumn/Winter 2020/21 issue

Summer 2019 issue


Critical care registers

If you or someone in your family relies on electricity or water due to a medical condition you should sign up to the NI Electricity or NI Water critical care registers.  Examples include people on a ventilator or with a stair lift or electric hoist in their home.

Find out more about who is eligible and how to register on the NI Electricity website or by calling them on 08457 643 643.

If you have a serious medical condition and you rely on having water, you should sign up to NI Water’s customer care register. You can find out more on the NI Water website  or by calling Waterline on 08457 44 00 88.