Launch of the 2018 Mayor's Community Awards
Mayor's Community Awards 2018
The Mayor of Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council, Councillor Tim Morrow launched the 2018 Mayor’s Community Awards to acknowledge the outstanding work and commitment of individuals, groups and organisations across communities in the Council area.
This awards scheme was developed and nominations will be judged by the Council’s Community Services Unit in partnership with Volunteer Now, the Education Authority and the South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust.
Nominations were open for the following categories:
- Fundraiser of the Year – recognising volunteers making a significant contribution towards sustaining the work of community/voluntary groups.
- Young Champion of the Year – recognising young people (between the ages of 16-25) making a significant contribution to community life.
- Arts & Culture Award - recognising individuals or groups using arts and culture to help make a difference and impact within local communities.
- Bringing Communities Together Award – recognising individuals or groups who are working tirelessly to bring people together and who have demonstrated a commitment towards improving community relations and a more united and shared society.
- Office Bearer Award - recognising individuals who are a member of a community/voluntary sector management committee or board in the area, making a huge contribution towards group sustainability and good governance.
- Community Impact Award - recognises individuals or groups making a significant difference to the lives of others or to community life. For example, a particular project or cause that has changed the community for the better.
- Team Spirit Award - recognises groups within the community/voluntary sector working to help address needs with local communities or enriched the lives of other people and who have shown exceptional team spirit.
- Brian McDowell Life Long Commitment Award is in memory of the well-known local resident, Mr Brian McDowell. It recognises individuals who have served the local community or a particular cause for over 20 years making a significant difference to the lives of others.