Environmental Youth Speak Competition 2018
Pupils from across the Council area participated in the 2018 Environmental Youth Speak competition at Lagan Valley Island hosted by Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council.
This annual event saw 26 students from twenty primary and post-primary schools confidently display their public speaking skills in front of a judging panel of Council representatives.
The aim of the competition, organised by the Council’s Waste Management Section, is to encourage environmental awareness among young people by providing them with an opportunity to research and debate environmental issues. The event was categorised into a Junior Section (P6 and P7 pupils) and Senior Section (Year 8 to Year 10 pupils), with this year’s themes being: ‘My waste’s got talent, what can it become ?’ and ‘The trouble with Plastic packaging’
All the participants received a certificate, and reusable shopping bag made from recycled material.
The Judging panel comprised of:
- Alderman Tommy Jeffers, Chairman of the Environmental Services Committee.
- Mrs Tracey Connolly, LCCC Biodiversity officer.
- Ms Ruth Van Roy, N.I. Eco Schools Manager.
Due to the exceptionally high standard of all entrants the three judges had a difficult task in choosing the winners in each category as detailed below:
- Junior Winner: Jolie Johnson & Amy Boyd, Dundonald Primary School.
- Junior 2nd place: Beth Ward & Catherine Bowler, Pondpark Primary School.
- Junior 3rd place: Olivia Rooney, Friends Prep School.
- Senior Winners Casey Rix of Lagan College.
- Senior 2nd place: Molly Henton Friends School.
- Senior 3rd Place: Grace Rowley and Victoria Lavery, Lisnagarvey High School.
The winner’s prizes were:
- Top prize of £200 for each winning school.
- £100 for the winning entry in each section.
- £40 for 2nd place entry in each section.
- £20 for 3rd place entry in each section.
View the winning performances from 2018 below
Junior Section winners Jolie and Amy of Dundonald Primary School
Senior Section winner Casey Rix of Lisnagarvey High School